SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION IN 5 MINUTES
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is often presented as a somewhat complicated, mysterious and semi-scientific subject. But you can get far by following these simple rules.
- Write for people, not search engines.
- Don’t try to trick the search engines into thinking that the pages are anything but what they are. You’ll run the risk that search engines (and especially Google) will swiftly remove your pages from their indexes.
- The best way to build a website is to provide readers with relevant and quality content, then market it as accurately as possible.
- Have relevant keywords in the URL of the page.
- Use Meta tags for the page title, keywords and description.
- Despite the fact that these tags do not directly affect how websites rank in Google, they are still useful. Once the user has done a search and got a list of hits in Google – it’s often the title and description of the page that determines what he clicks on. i.e the extract you see on the Search Results page ‘the snippet’ is taken from the ‘Description Metatag’. If you have not set this Meta tag, Google will use the first 16-20 words that it finds on the page.
- Highlight what’s important (the words/phrases you want to be found on) by using the keywords in text and headline and image descriptions.
- Do not put important text and keywords in java, flash or images that search engines cannot read.
- Include links to relevant pages (use words that are appropriate to describe the page you are linking to).
- Get popular and relevant websites to link your website. (Use online directories. They are often free!)
- Keep in mind that search engines are more than Google – even though Google is the undisputed #1.
- Get your news/articles indexed in various news services.
- Use social media like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc. to drive traffic and increase the number of links to your pages.
It is only a short post this time. I hope this will help.
Free E-Book. 4 steps to a Better Performing Website
Get a jump-start on improving your website today with our FREE E-Book.
Learn how to do web marketing that builds real, lasting results!